You can see reports of seven past summits on the Unify Toronto website.
Please come and find out what are the key solutions for Toronto, discover what you can do and get into action with your fellow citizens.
The message Is clear, young people everywhere are calling their elders out: “Your house is on fire! What are you doing about it?” “Global warming is real, it is human caused and immediate action is required to avert climate disaster.”
And for the week of September 20th – 28th they have instigated what will most likely be the largest ever global uprising of voices in marches, teach-ins, strikes and protests. A coalition of local climate action organizations is putting together a calendar of events in the GTA for that week. We urge you to participate in as many ways as you can.
Drawdown Toronto members will be participating actively in all these actions, designed to catalyze action by governments, institutions, companies and individuals.
Our message is also clear: It is NOT too late. Global warming CAN be reversed. And everyone needs to know it. This day will be an inspiring day of hope and resilience.
“Project Drawdown” is the most comprehensive answer to the question, “What should we do?” In fact, the 100 solutions investigated by a coalition of researchers are sufficient to ensure that humanity turns back from the brink of disaster, and begins lowering the concentration of greenhouse gases by 2050 (that’s the “drawdown point.”)
To reserve you place, and to let us know you are coming. Pre-registration is advised, but not required.
When: Saturday September 28th, 10am – 6pm
Come for the whole day or attend when you can
Everyone who is concerned about Climate Change and Global Warming and is ready to do something about it.
What to expect:
We are still in the process of finalizing the agenda, so check back for updates on more detailed timing. Here are some of the elements of the program:
- Open with an acknowledgement of the indigenous keepers of this land, and an opening of a sacred space for our conversations of the day.
- A panel of the Climate Action week organizers, speaking on behalf of their organizations about the specific solutions they are advocating and how their actions will result in reversing global warming.
- A break for lunch. We probably won’t be serving food, so we invite you to bring your own climate conscious meal, and or something to share with others, in a kind of indoor potluck picnic.
- A second panel of presenters will showcase solutions being done right here in the GTA in the “Seven Solutions Sectors” of Land Use, Food, Energy, Transportation, Empowering Women and Girls, Buildings and Cities, and Materials. Confirmed Speakers include:
- Owen Goltz of Riverdale Farm and Forest, organic “second-career” farmer, arborist, permaculturist, educator, and farmers’ market vendor from Inglewood, Caledon.
- Tomislav Svoboda, active transport advocate. Dynamic and engaging speaker with a broad knowledge of greenhouse gas emissions per transportation solutions.
- A totally interactive and participatory “Open Space” session will allow you to connect with people who are creating and enacting innovative solutions and even join together in collaborative action for the future.
- Singing, Storytelling, cheers, laughter.
- Ceremonial closing.
We promise that you will:
- Have fun, even in the face of the momentous challenge of global warming.
- Leave more optimistic than when you arrived.
- Meet and connect with some amazing people.
- Have the opportunity to get into meaningful action.