With Earth Hour and Earth Day coming up soon there are all kinds of activities to have fun with while making a difference for our earth right here in Caledon. Starting in March and to the end of April, here are some ideas…
As Spring Approaches:
1. Sign-up for the Drawdown EcoChallenge: Join ecoCaledon’s Team and together we can make a difference:
For more information on what others are doing in Caledon, go to the ecoCaledon web site and Drawdown Directory. See innovative projects like “Gratitude for Food Caledon” and Net Zero and more….
Leading up to Earth Hour in March Break
2. Go to a Community Event outside and experience nature
The TRCA (Conservation Authority) and The Town of Caledon have the following:
Join in on Earth Hour (March 30 and 31)!
3. Turn your lights off on Saturday March 30th from 8:00 pm. Also participate in some activities that day and on Sunday March 31 (see below)
4. Town of Caledon
Caledon will be turning off lights at Municipal Facilities where practical and you can too! Watch for added special Kid’s programing at some Caledon Recreation Centers
5. Earth Hour TRCA and Palgrave Community: Trail Walk and Camp Fire
(March 30) 8:00 – 9:30 pm
Palgrave United Church
34 Pine Ave
ON L7E 0L9
6. Maple Syrup Festival at CV Terra Cotta Conservation Area Halton Hills
Saturday March 30th and Sunday March 31 9:30 -5:00
Enjoy Syrup Making Demonstrations, entertainment (Four Paws Flying Dog show etc, plate of pancakes, family friendly activities and more.
For more details and the entrance costs:
Earth Day (April 22)
On Earth Day and all week take time to think about something local and something bigger: Canada wide and global.
7. Earth Day Canada Challenge 2019: Protect Our Species
Nature’s gifts to our planet are the millions of species that we know and love, and many more that remain to be discovered. Unfortunately, human beings have irrevocably upset the balance of nature and, as a result, the world is facing the greatest rate of extinction since we lost the dinosaurs more than 60 million years ago. But unlike the fate of the dinosaurs, the rapid extinction of species in our world today is the result of human activity (Earth Day Canada Web Site).
Earth Day Network is asking people to join our Protect our Species campaign. Our goals are to:
- Educate and raise awareness about the accelerating rate of extinction of millions of species and the causes and consequences of this phenomenon.
- Achieve major policy victories that protect broad groups of species as well as individual species and their habitats.
- Build and activate a global movement that embraces nature and its values.
- Encourage individual actions such as adopting plant based diet and stopping pesticide and herbicide use.
8. Tim Hortons Clean Up in Bolton April 22 – April 29th
– Go to the “Pitch In Web Site –see below
9. Thursday April 25th 7:30 – 9:00 Frog Watch
– Heart Lake at Heart Lake Road south of Mayfield road
10. Saturday April 27th Earth Day planting at Claireville Conservation Conservation Area
– Hwy 50 and Queen in Brampton (Conjunction with City Brampton) – trees and Shrubs
11. Saturday April 27th SouthFields Village Clean up
– near South Fields School – If Planting near Old Kennedy Rd
12. Sunday April 28th Palgrave Community Clean up
– at Palgrave United Church 1:30 -3:30 – meet at Church